Sunday 17 April 2011

UK "travelling": Jodrell Bank

Good evening gentle viewers.

Today I bring you pictures and a little bit of info about Jodrell Bank, home to the glorious Lovell Radio Telescope and some of the finest sights Cheshire has to offer.

The main reason I've done this is to test out putting piccies on the blog etc etc. And because it was a lovely day I want to remember. I'm also really pleased with how these pictures turned out. It's hard to take a bad one though; the telescope is just incredible.

CIMG0028
Jodrell Bank is in Macclesfield, which on a sunny day like today is just a treat. I actually saw a real BUNNY run across a country lane and we finished up at a gorgeous little pub called The Dog Inn, in Over Peover, which according to Mumsy you don't say "OVAH PEE-OVAH" but "OVAH PEEEEEVAH". Whatever. Mumsy will explain if you ask her.

It's awesome and I thoroughly recommend it. Fi and Woody came too and we had a drink, some crisps and petted a big furry dog in the beer garden.

Anyway, back to Jodrell Bank. We learned quite a lot about it and went to the visitor centre where there is something called an orrery - basically a mechanical model of the solar system. There is tons of info and amazing images of the planets and their moons (Titan, a moon of Saturn, is my favourite).

You can get quite close to the telescope, which is ENORMOUS and really quite awe-inspiring. When we went into the visitor centre, it was facing away from us - but when we came out it had been turned around to face us (reminding me and Fi of the dish in GoldenEye).

Mumsy claimed it hadn't moved and we'd exited a different building. For a nanosecond I considered whether the building was actually a space wormhole or some kind of time travel machine, but then realised it wasn't and had to correct Mumsy. The dish had been moved.


Toodles
x

PS. Please tell me what you would like to hear about on this blog. Feel free to comment at the bottom!

2 comments:

  1. Forgot to mention at the time because you were so stroking my head that I am your long lost cousin on mumsy's side- love Cruz (the dog) woof!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Fi and Woody came too and we had a drink, some crisps and petted a big furry dog in the beer garden."

    There's something very Mark Haddon about the style of this. If this dog is involved in some kind of curious nighttime incident in a later blog post, I'm going to get suspicious.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete